Thursday, September 07, 2006

Hilarious cops in Japan (and elsewhere)

This morning on my way to work, I was reminded of the hilarity/stupidity/wonder of police here in Japan. I drive a little 50cc scooter around, and was stopped at a red light. I was still in my early morning fog, and not really doing anything but zone out until the light changed.

Suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder, and there was this old cop looking at me. He had to be at least 60 years old, and he was on a bicycle. He proceeds to tell me (in lightning-fast Japanese), that I am waiting incorrectly at the light. When I asked why he said that, he tells me that I have the wrong foot on the ground. Apparently it is illegal, (or at best not advisable) to have you right foot on the ground at a light. "You should use your left foot here in Japan," he says. Yawn. Granted, in Japan you do drive on the left hand side of the road, but really, the wrong foot??? Come on.

Who`s heard of a more useless thing? The guy was obviously trying to feel important and think he had a bit of power left. I nodded to him, but didn`t change feet, and then sped away. What was he going to do? Chase me? Write me a ticket? I actually hope I do get a ticket for that. I`d even pay the fine. It would be worth it to have a framed traffic ticket for standing incorrectly at a traffic light. It would match the warning I got back in Canada for leaving my truck running during a -40C day. Man, cops are weird...

No comments: